Menu

Forums - General Chat

Favourite gig venue?

•  bad admiralbad admiral
    • Mazz says:
      Jack says:
      The Black Heart is where it's at right now

The booze at the George is cheaper.

Yeah forgot about the george UK...best venue ever.
    •  JackJack
    • Ah The George, that was a great place
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • Black heart...never heard that one is it new???m Man been out the loop a while.

For me UK wise...

Windmill Brixton
      Birds nest deptford
      Cricketers (RIP)
      1 in 12 (of course)
      cafe oto
      Royal Park cellars
      Union chapel
      291 Gallery
      New continetal
      Yorkshire house

For now that@s what rolls off the top my head.

• bad admiral says:
      bristol junction

Man miss the Junction Bob the owner is still a good friend of mine.
    • dingy little shithole sandwiched between two brothels. sound was good. booze pretty cheap. would put literally anything on. glorious.

had fun @ the shakespeare during the all dayer ages ago.

union chapel in islington is a tasty venue too.

not convinced by the black heart - although i've only been there the once. beer's pricey (although they do get some nice imported stuff in) and the room/sound is nothing that special.

i think it's popular because everywhere else in town is now a branch of costa and obviously because there's good bands and people there.
    •  mambamamba
    • I like the Black Heart as a pub, and it works well as a base for Desertfest (the only times I've been there). Great choice of beers. Yes, some are extortionately priced - I believe I paid £6.30 for a pint for Pete Plonker without either of us realising - but £4 a pint for more regular stuff isn't that bad for big London. As a venue, it's alright.
    • I think Richards a bit like me Dingy or epic! saw Fennez at the church near denmark street can@t remember its name but sat up in the heavens... was awesome!
    •  BacchanalBacchanal
    • Only went to the Junction once, when we were coming down to Bristol househunting. Met up with a friend from Cardiff to see Taint.
      Enduring memories: being sandwiched between the stage and the bar, negotiating with the bar staff as friend's friend tried to skin up on the bar (ketamine is a fabulous thing), getting lost trying to find my way to the bar where my missis was drinking with a friend.
    •  mikemike
    • Loads, for sheffield- cricketers was legendary and seemed like a second home to me for about a year. The only real length of time i've been on friendly terms with a venue to the point of arranging a show at a few hours' notice, the famous drum circle Sunshine Republic show.

The Grapes, now no longer a music venue was my intro to sheffield live music. So many good shows there and working with Ash and Brian was always a pleasure.

Current faves are the Shakey, Riverside and dare I say Corp?

Fave venues elsewhere- the Grovesnor in Brixton, the Fenton and Brudenell in Leeds, Star and Garter in manc, Le Pub in Newport, Balcony Bar in Dundee, Tunnels in Aberdeen, Henrys and the 13th Note in Glasgow, O'Henrys in Edinburgh, Old Angel in Nottingham is a stinker but I love it. Custard Factory is amazing every year at Supersonic.

1in12 is also one of the best, no bullshit, excellent and cheap beer and great bands.
    • forgot about the grovesnor. great place that and still going nicely too i believe, although not been there in yonks.

only been to old angel the once, had tour fatigue and couldn't really get into the whole getting pissed and doing music thing. great kebab place next door though...
    •  CareyCarey
    • I have very fond memories of the grapes as the venue for all the punk and hardcore gigs I put on in my youth.

Seen some amazing stuff in the small room at corp, not least that Clutch gig which is possibly my favourite.

PS glad to hear Forum rumour was untrue!
    •  bosskeloidbosskeloid
    • The Black Hearts sound has been tinkered with in the past couple of months so sounds a lot better now.. Just before Desertfest it happened and the gigs i have been too since have been blinders!!

Beer is awesome but never spend less than £40 when i go there.... which is harsh
    •  funkynoisefunkynoise
    • As a few others have mentioned, The Star & Garter in Manchester is very hard to beat. There are not many venues that can compete with that PA, I'm just glad the Future Noise put on most of their gigs there. Went to Gulliver's Bar in Manchester on Saturday for the 1st time, and that has potential.

Others good ones include:

Sound Control in Manchester
      Brixton Academy
      The Old Angel in Nottingham
      Wulfrun Hall in Wolverhampton
      The Boardwalk in Manchester (sadly its now flats)
    •  PetePete
    • Where abouts is Gullivers?
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • Just off that road that takes you towards Oldham... M4 postcode. Good sound and an interesting space. Plus a decent crowd.

Put on a gig at Three Cranes in Sheffield on Saturday... that has massive Cricketers-esque potential. They basically let us run riot upstairs all night and were so accommadating that I couldn't quite wrap my head round it at first, proper stars. There will be many more gigs to come from me at that place!
    •  CareyCarey
    • I really liked the old ladies in spangly dresses dancing to Papa Roach by themselves as I left just after one in the morning. Awesome venue.
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • My mate called it Gods Waiting Room downstairs, but it was such a chipper British pub evening in there, quality!
    •  BiledriverBiledriver
    • No love for The Flapper in Birmingham? Not been there recently but it always seemed the strike that magic balace between nice location, good size, reasonable price and great sound.
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • mamba says:
      I believe I paid £6.30 for a pint for Pete Plonker without either of us realising

I genuinely still feel really bad about that! Sorry mate!

Yeah, sorry I'm massively late to this thread, but might I say it's a damn fine thread!

Star & Garter is awesome. I spent my first night at uni there after getting dragged over with a bunch of people I'd never met, some of whom are still my best friends to this day, some I never saw again after that night. There was a crazy jungle reggae night on and people taking all kinds of naughty substances. I was scared shitless. Going back there for doom gigs a couple of years later though it has a great atmosphere and wicked sound. I saw Kylesa and Baroness do a double headliner for £8.

Great Birmingham venues:
      Scruffys aka my new home
      Hare and Hounds - awesome sound, Capsule used to put on tons of good shows there
      The Asylum 2 very cheap booze and good stage set-up

Anyone ever go to The Jailhouse in Coventry? A glorious dive.

013 Tilburg, natch.

London:
      Unicorn before everything went nackers up.
      Black Heart
      Fighting Cocks in Kingston
      ...that's about it.

[Edited by pull-my-plonker at 23:19 on 19/07/13]
    •  BacchanalBacchanal
    • What's the story with the Unicorn then?

Forums - General Chat - Favourite gig venue?