Menu

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion

Illegal Downloading

•  noonenoone
    • nail on head.
    •  noonenoone
    • it's far more optimistic to think of downloading in general as a replacement for the traditional distro.
      Wasn't the idea of a distro to 'distro' music as far and as wide as possible to like minded individuals with similar tastes for little more than the price of the record with no middle man or shop owner taking his unfair profit?
      Or am I mistaken?
      This way there are no postage or pressing costs and everybody gets to share music with the world.
    •  Smockboy25Smockboy25
    • Smockboy25 says:
      But it has to be said that the smaller bands/labels need people's support in the form of £££ to be able to cover costs, put out further releases but with more and more blogs springing up there's a large element of serial downloaders that are very quick to request the latest release by X amount of bands.

Podge says:
      Yes to this 100%

WickedWesticle says:
      Not really. I can't afford all the stuff I like so I buy from mates and small bands. Everything else I stream or steal. I don't want the physical thing cos I don't have the room.

Not being a musician, I'm talking from my perspective of being a fan and understanding it cost's money to put out product, play gigs, etc. I can't afford to buy every bit of music I'd like but I do spend plenty of money on actual releases as I like the whole package - the artwork, the recording details and it sounds better than a mp3. Yes it takes up room, my vinyl/CD collection is evergrowing and is a pain to store.

From Podge's perspective (sorry don't know you so this may be not quite right), putting out stuff on Calculon requires plenty of time, effort and ultimately money (am sure this is true for you Wicked Westicle with Trippy Wicked) and it's gotta be disheartening to have all that to be given away. The point I'm trying to make is lots of the small labels and bands invest a lot in their passion for music and yes these bands have day jobs to fund their music, so as long as I can buy releases direct from bands/labels I will, even though the internet is a good previewing tool, pretty much everything is readily accessible and has taken the mystique out of hearing new bands to some degree.

There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument of downloading and am sure will be debated again and again!
    •  WickedWesticleWickedWesticle
    • Smockboy25 says:

Not being a musician, I'm talking from my perspective of being a fan and understanding it cost's money to put out product, play gigs, etc. I can't afford to buy every bit of music I'd like but I do spend plenty of money on actual releases as I like the whole package - the artwork, the recording details and it sounds better than a mp3. Yes it takes up room, my vinyl/CD collection is evergrowing and is a pain to store.

From Podge's perspective (sorry don't know you so this may be not quite right), putting out stuff on Calculon requires plenty of time, effort and ultimately money (am sure this is true for you Wicked Westicle with Trippy Wicked) and it's gotta be disheartening to have all that to be given away. The point I'm trying to make is lots of the small labels and bands invest a lot in their passion for music and yes these bands have day jobs to fund their music, so as long as I can buy releases direct from bands/labels I will, even though the internet is a good previewing tool, pretty much everything is readily accessible and has taken the mystique out of hearing new bands to some degree.

There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument of downloading and am sure will be debated again and again!

hmmm. I don't find it disheartening when people take my music for free for a few reasons. First I do it for the love of the music (cheesy but true) and playing in a band so I'm just happy that people are listening to my music. Second is that the free downloads outway the paid physical CDs by 14 to 1 at the moment (link here if anyone wants it). I couldn't pay for that kind of exposure so I'm not going to stop it. Another reason is that there are people who want to buy a CD and some have insisted on paying more than we charge. I'm happy that there are some people in the world that want to buy my music and they will probably have a better emotional connection to the music because they have the physical object (and they get me saying thank you about 5 times if they buy it from me!).

Having said all of that...when our album appeared on the first file sharing blog 5 days after it was released my immediate reaction was a dodgy feeling in my gut that I didn't like. But it passed and after it did I decided to send every other blog MY link with a request that if they're gonna list it to use my link (so I can track downloads) and they link to my website and mailing list. Most of them did which is good news.

Smockboy25 says:

even though the internet is a good previewing tool, pretty much everything is readily accessible and has taken the mystique out of hearing new bands to some degree.

Yes and no. No because it works for some people and yes I agree because personally I am at a loss here. I sold my CDs in favour of the convenience of the mp3 and now streamed music and I have without a doubt lost something along the way. I can't deny it but I do like the convenience of being able to hear everything else at the click of a button. Last.fm just plays me stock (to quote Lars) stoner rock that bores me and I hear a hell of a lot more shit music than I do good stuff.

Having re read alot of what I've said I wanna make it clear that I don't think bands should simply give all their music away for free and leave it at that. They should make it available for free in the right places, stream it via a website and allow people to pay for downloads and pay for physical items too. Cover all bases. I am dong everything I can to move the band towards a point where we are making money from our music and making it free to download in the right places is part of this process.

This rum sure is helping me ramble.
    •  OllieOllie
    • I'm pretty new to the whole downloading thing and my initial reasoning for doing it was because there was a lot of stuff I've had on vinyl but either want on CD or some other format to listen to (I can't really take my record player in the car for example or move it from room to room)...I figure I've paid for it once, it's an old album, what the Hell. My other reason for downloading initially was because I mostly like old stuff from the 60's and 70's, some of that is pretty hard to track down on CD now so if it's downloadable then why not...and going this route has turned me on to a lot more bands that I didn't even know existed.

More recently a fairly crippling lack of funds due to shit work circumstances...etc, couple with an overwhelming desire to listen to music has seen me download some newer stuff. I will admit I don't feel great about it but the alternative is I don't buy the album anyway and the band loses out on someone digging their music. Given the opportunity though I always prefer to get the CD as I think bands do take time over their pacakging and the whole mastering process is designed to make CD the best format to listen to stuff...I can always stick it on my ipod from there.

As a musician, yeah I like it when people buy CDs...and they do. We've nearly run out of our allocation of our first CD so it's down to whatever the label have out there for sale from various places. On the other hand, as Chris said, it is about the music. I'm really happy when people hear our music and love our stuff. I would rather have 700 fans but only sell 200 CDs than sell 200 CDs and only have 200 fans. There are other benefits to people being able to get our stuff for free...the word spreads making it more likely to be able to get gigs, fanzine interest or maybe even label interest. For bands like us file sharing is almost becoming the equivalent of sending out flyers in the old tape trading days (and let's not foget people romanticise the old tape trading stuff but how was that any different? It was still a case of diseminating a band's music for free!!!)
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Ok, right now I'm ripping the audio of the Them Crooked Vultures album off youtube. I'm still buying it, I'm just impatient though and can't wait to hear it. Am I a bad person?
    •  Smockboy25Smockboy25
    • Hopkins says:
      Ok, right now I'm ripping the audio of the Them Crooked Vultures album off youtube. I'm still buying it, I'm just impatient though and can't wait to hear it. Am I a bad person?

Yes, Josh will fuck you in the ass for it! :argh:
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Smockboy25 says:
      Hopkins says:
      Ok, right now I'm ripping the audio of the Them Crooked Vultures album off youtube. I'm still buying it, I'm just impatient though and can't wait to hear it. Am I a bad person?

I'd quite happily take a length from any of them 3 legends
    •  WickedWesticleWickedWesticle
    • Hopkins says:
      Smockboy25 says:
      Hopkins says:

That's dedication.
    •  Smockboy25Smockboy25
    • WickedWesticle says:
      Hopkins says:
      Smockboy25 says:
      Hopkins says:

That's dedication.

Yeah for sure! ;) Plenty of posts flying about on the Rekords Rekords forum about the leak!!
    •  mambamamba
    • It's an official leak though. I got an email about it from the band's mailing list. I will be ripping it tonight too (unless Chris wants to save me the hassle!) so that I can listen to it on my ipod this week. And yes, I will buying it next week.
    •  slack mammothslack mammoth
    • Smockboy25 says:

He once pushed me against a wall and threatened to "erase" me. Cock.

•  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • Yeah what you do Nick? If it where Chip I would understand he can be a tad annoying but your a polite young man for the most part... did you tell him his band went a bit rubbish after songs for the deaf?
      [Edited by Tim Holehouse at 14:06 on 10/11/09]
    •  JackJack
    • Erase you, hahaha At least he has some funny threats
    •  MORRELLMORRELL
    • What a cunt!
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Donny says:
      As if the sole motivation anyone has for making music is making money hand over fist.

Click
    •  MazzMazz
    • sabbathfan says:
      Donny says:
      As if the sole motivation anyone has for making music is making money hand over fist.

Click

hey!...hey1 don't diss the kiss :)
    •  JackJack
    • [/quote]
      if you have seriously spent that amount then you are a fool, I have spent significantly less putting out 16 records and buying musical equipment.

the theft of music can only be justified by those who do it because its so difficult to get caught[/quote]

I think thats unfair to call someone a fool for spending money if they want to. It's up to an individual how they wish to spend their own money, I can easily see how the cost has got that high with doing a lot of gigs in London etc.
    •  BeermanBeerman
    • Can art be owned? Who does art belong to? What is art? If a blackbird's song lifts your spirit does that make it art?

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - Illegal Downloading