Menu

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion

Keyboard / Synth help

•  PodgePodge
    • I'm thinking of getting a keyboard / synth.

i'm just after something standalone (not linked to the computer) that's fairly good but mainly just for bedroom music.

i used to have one but I couldn't store any sounds on it so it used to cheese me off a lot.

anyone got any suggestions?
    •  JackJack
    • Micro Korg- look the demos up on youtube. Awesome
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • as mis used by 100's opf shit hardcore bands...

They are nice if used properly though.
    •  PodgePodge
    • nice but £200+ its a bit expensive
    •  GarethGareth
    • Podge says:
      nice but £200+ its a bit expensive

That's cheap for a new one.

Go to www.vintagesynth.com/ and try their synth finder then check e-bay for any cheap ones. Adam might be good to ask on this.
    •  PodgePodge
    • i got my last one from adam.
    •  narcomannarcoman
    • hey,

first time post on here - but i'm a bit of a synth wiz.... what sort of thing you looking to do?
    •  PodgePodge
    • make noise, but i'm picky so it has to be the right kind of noise. when i say noise i dont mean like a noise band.
    •  narcomannarcoman
    • A Virus might be nice - but a bit pricey, even second hand.

An old Juno is good, especially with a few distortion pedals to give it a bit of bight - good on basslines and all that.

An old Jen SX1000 can be cool - kind of like a cheap Moog. Monophonic but capable of ugly squelches.

More modern - Korg MS2000 is okay. Same with a JP8000 - but both are sort of okay attempts at modelling analogue beauties of the past.

If you're looking for more of a sci fi sort of thing then it gets into the realm of layering sounds up....so not so hot for live work but great in the home studio.... If you're a dab hand with manuals and programming then a Yamaha SY35 might do the trick - but quite limited really.

Other than that - and I'm a bit of a Can fan so bear that in mind - I've found a lot of nice vibes with using a transistor organ and effects pedals. You know the sort of thing you can pick up on Ebay for a tenner - bag of crap but brilliant with pedals.

Tell me a record or two you like the synh aspects of and that'll put me in the right place...
      [Edited by narcoman at 19:35 on 23/09/09]
    •  PodgePodge
    • cheers for the info.
      its not specifically for a synth sound. its because my fingers are too fat for guitar and i cant be arsed to get my bass out every time i think of something.

i used to have a keyboard but non of the sounds were right so nothing i ever played on it sounded right.
    •  GarethGareth
    • narcoman says:

I've found a lot of nice vibes with using a transistor organ and effects pedals. You know the sort of thing you can pick up on Ebay for a tenner - bag of crap but brilliant with pedals.

Something like this? Or something else?
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Podge, for jotting stuff down without reaching for an instrument, I recommend Fruity Loops. Synth, drums, bass you can program it all in, and it's dead easy to use
    •  PodgePodge
    • yes they are easy but they involve having my computer on, i just want to press a button and out comes a noise
    • i got a yamaha C5 synth but want £200 for it really its an old analogue number.

One way to do it podge is get a cheap casio and then put it through pedals you'd be suprises.

Another good keyboard I'd suggest is the Roland SH101 some of the roland gear can be quite nice.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • Tim Holehouse says:

One way to do it podge is get a cheap casio and then put it through pedals you'd be suprises.

wookie man speak truth. one could put my arse through a fucking pedal and it would sound unreal.
    •  DonnyDonny
    • Alternatively you could man up and stop arsing about with rave machines.

Kidding. Love a bit of crazy sounding electro tinkering.
    •  narcomannarcoman
    • Moog Rogues and sh101 - both cool and can still be had for a moderate price.... starting to get collectable though :(

As for transistor organs - more like the old gibson organs or vox continental - on the cheap end a Gem wizard. Awesome beast when used with RAT pedals..

Can't be arsed to get the bass out? Me thinks you're looking for something cool and monophonic - so an sh101 might be cool.
    •  PodgePodge
    • I think ebay shall be searched tomorrow, cheers guys
    • narcoman says:
      Moog Rogues and sh101 - both cool and can still be had for a moderate price.... starting to get collectable though :(

As for transistor organs - more like the old gibson organs or vox continental - on the cheap end a Gem wizard. Awesome beast when used with RAT pedals..

Can't be arsed to get the bass out? Me thinks you're looking for something cool and monophonic - so an sh101 might be cool.

Yeah i sold my SH101 for £300 I thought maybe cause it was a rae model... I've had some silly offers for the CS5 thing i got but not sure I'd want rid to be honest having hocked a large amount of gear when I very poor.
      Ah I love old synths... I pulled out all my electronic gear yesterday started work on some new noise material.

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - Keyboard / Synth help