Menu

Forums - General Chat

Feb swag

•  noonenoone
    • cheers , I could do with some advice before I make an offer, I've never owned a bike with gears before..
      Podge?
    •  PodgePodge
    • Raleigh have used MAX in a million and one of their model names so i have no ideas which one it is.

you say how many gears it has but not if its a road bike, a mountain bike or what, depends what condition its in and all sorts.

basically there is no market in cheap second hand bikes. you can buy brand new ones for as chap as repairing old ones.
    •  noonenoone
    • OK, so say I have a budget of no more than a hundred and fifty quids and I only want a bike for riding to work an back and other trivial journeys ( I normally walk about 4 or 5 miles a day on pavements and sometimes grass )
      What features am I looking for when I nervously shuffle into JE James trying to avoid eye contact with the shop assistant?
      Presumably the 2nd hand bikes they sell will have been through a full service?
    •  PodgePodge
    • do JE James have a second hand section? i didn't think anywhere did these days. as for a service, probably not. they will be sold as seen.

if you are just going to work and back then anything will do. i used to commute to work down close to Sheffield arena from hillsborough on a bike i picked up off ebay for £100. all i did was take the back brakes off because the rear wheel was buckled and once i'd got them off i couldn't get them back on again. served me good for 18 months till i moved job.

i would suggest paying as little as possible, staying well clear of any suspension front or rear and keeping an eye out for something that looks more like a mountain bike than a road bike. sticking slick tyres on it will make a huge difference, its so much easier with them on if all you are going to do is ride on roads / pavement.

so basically, the best one you can find is the cheapest one
    •  noonenoone
    • Thanks podge I appreciate that.
      Kinda confirms what I was already thinking but was scared to say. I have no interest in suspension as I'm used to riding BMX about. I want something with very few gears and very few features to go wrong.
      I guess looking around for 'collection only' bargains on Ebay is the next course of action.
    •  noonenoone
    • or alternatively I do have a very nice 18'' pair of bolt croppers...
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Kev, I might be able to sort you a equally cheap and more legal solution, while reducing my "too many bikes" problem into the bargain.
      I've got an old Raleigh 15 speed mountain bike you can have for nowt. I'll ask Podge to give it a once over and make sure it won't kill you, but it should do the job. You might want to get some road tyres for it, but other than that it fits the bill.
    •  noonenoone
    • wow , I don't know what to say!
      I couldn't accept it for nowt are you sure you don't want some money or at least some beers?
      Killing myself would only be my own fault and I promise not to come running to you.
    •  PodgePodge
    • i would think that the only thing you'll need for Si's bike is maybe a new set of tubes & tyres but that's £20 max if you shop around.

i think its got steel rims so the brakes will be parp but no worse than your BMX.

i'm not away this weekend so i can sort it out as long as i remember.
    •  GarethGareth
    • At the risk of sounding all grandad, you'll need some decent lights and a helmet which £37 should cover.
    •  PodgePodge
    • Gareth says:
      At the risk of sounding all grandad, you'll need some decent lights and a helmet which £37 should cover.

not really, a helmet is a good idea, lights are compulsory but only if ride on roads at night. not sure of the legality or lights / night / cycle path but as its getting lighter and lighter of an evening, its not much of an issue. plus Lidl have got some bike stuff for sale CHEAPO

you'll probably need some cables on the bike too, but a good soaking in wd40 may well avoid that
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • Podge says:

you'll probably need some cables on the bike too, but a good soaking in wd40 may well avoid that

Ahh that reminds me of the time with my Claude Butler Virago, way back in the day, with open cables that ran across the frame so you could actually stop the brakes from working if you pressed on them to hard.
      I loved that bike.....and now its gone....
    •  JackJack
    • Use some GT85 instead of WD40 though, much better suited to the purpose
    •  EggyEggy
    • It pisses me off when people ride on roads in the dark without lights on, have these people no brains!

I know no one on here would do that we're all sensible aren't we.
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • I REALLY have to get to the Michael Jackson Auction for the arcade machines!
      I wish he'd touched me up in the 90's so I could play these sweet ass games while he played my sweet ass.
      6 player x-men would have been kick ass, and the pinball machines are amazing!
      Arcade Brochure
      Other Auction Brochures

Edit: I keep finding more cool stuff, he has a Lego Darth Vader and a lifesize Bobba Fett!
      [Edited by Laddeth at 19:14 on 23/02/09]
    •  JackJack
    • Eggy says:
      It pisses me off when people ride on roads in the dark without lights on, have these people no brains!

I know no one on here would do that we're all sensible aren't we.

I saw a couple of kids on bmx's do a sweet traffic avoiding maneuver on saturday. Load of traffic stuck round the roundabout so they both charged straight through a gap in the traffic, hit the sloped side of the roundabout and did a nice transfer jump across, then straight through the cars on the other side. People beeped but it made me smile, sweet riding
    •  PodgePodge
    • Jack Dickinson says:
      Use some GT85 instead of WD40 though, much better suited to the purpose

true but i have gallons of wd40 in stock
    •  noonenoone
    • I can't thank Si and podge enough for this. I'm looking forward to it.
      By the way it's Gibben's birthday tomorrow and I think were off to the sheaf view at about 8 or 9 if anyone's interested although it's not the easy 5min walk for most people as it is for me and him.

* CORRECTION when I said ' tomorrow ' I obviously meant Wednesday *
      [Edited by noone at 21:08 on 23/02/09]
    •  PodgePodge
    • er, its Ben's birthday on Wednesday, not Tuesday
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Got the Flatlands album launch on Wednesday. Trust Ben to be inconvenient.

Kev, I've been meaning to Freecycle this bike for ages, so don't worry about it. I've not ridden it for years so it might as well get some use, especially considering I've not even ridden my new one since I fucked my knee.

Forums - General Chat - Feb swag