Menu

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion

Hand Of Grief & Ted Maul, Leeds Rio's 27th September

•  KojakofgriefKojakofgrief
    • Howdo ppl. Umm yeah so were playing with Ted Maul in september in Leeds and we need to sell 30 tickets. Theyre £6.50 and available from the band either in person or via our myspace, (myspace.com/handofgrief). Personally I don't believe in pay to play gigs but we'd really appreciate anyone buying a ticket or two and coming down to support the underground.

Cheers
      Kojak
      :rolleyes:
    •  MatthewRedStarsMatthewRedStars
    • "support the underground"

"pay to play gigs"

This is like crossing picket lines imho. The reason play to pay is pretty much eradicated in Leeds is that bands (from lots of scenes) took a stand and the promoters quickly realised that no one would play for them and bands started getting a better deal. Bands that still pay to play/have to sell tickets are screwing themselves and the rest of the Leeds music scene. The 'promoters' are just preying on naive bands dreams.

If it was me i'd tell them to pay us to play or fuck off.

•  mikemike
    • Absolutely, it shouldn't be a privelege to play a venue, ideas like this hold the UK live music scene back from being as good as Europe, if I were you I'd say you weren't doing it and ask for a decent amount and not sell a ticket at all, its not as if Rios needs the money, Ted Maul will get people down already.

The only time bands should be given tickets is if they can sell them at a slightly reduced rate to their friends, means the promoter gets more people down and the band get to do their friends a favour, all works out.
    •  DonnyDonny
    • Or you could just play, not bother selling tickets, not pay up and tell the promoter/rios to fuck themselves in the arse afterwards.
    •  slomoslomo
    • Just been talking about this venue.

Shambolic organisation. Don't do it. If your going OUT OF TOWN, you aint going to sell all them tickets.

There's plenty of Leeds bands that would make a great bill up. Rios just doesn't have a clue how to promote well.
    •  Tom PTom P
    • I have to agree with what's been said. Pay-to-play is just plain wrong, and I personally will never agree to do it. However, HOG are my friends and I will party down to support them at this show.
    •  paul gpaul g
    • If you don't agree with pay to play then don't support it in anyway,
      If your mates band are doing a pay to play gig and you don't agree with it,
      try and convince them not to play it.
      Don't go and support them out of a sense of obligation,
      its shows a total lack of conviction in your beliefs as well as a total lack of backbone from yourself.

•  cotton hillcotton hill
    • Oh, the guilt! The moral outrage! Seems like this show might result in a stairwell nonce-bashing. It's a gig. That's all. Let's not start accusing people of not having principles. If you don't wanna go, then don't. Look down your noses all you want, but don't start preaching some holier than thou bullshit.
    •  mikemike
    • Its not looking down the nose chap, its being asked to pay to play (if what kojak said meant you HAVE to sell the 30 tickets to play) and thats just, no band ever, no matter of the level, signed, unsigned, whatever should ever pay to play a gig, its just stupid, you pay money for practice rooms, travel, equipment, no doubt food and beer/drink to be in a band, why the hell should you pay Rios to play their sacred venue? Nobody is preaching to you, its just a daft thing to agree to and encouraging these people exploiting you and other bands is even more so.
    •  Tom PTom P
    • It's a dilemma for sure, I don't agree with it at all from a band's perspective but I don't feel that strongly as I've never been involved with pay to play and don't really know anyone who has (until now), so it's never been a big thing. If HOG want to do this then that's none of my business but getting hammered with my friends on a Saturday night certainly is my business. I go to gigs that I like and my feelings towards the promoters of the show rarely ever come into the equation - if it's a good show then it's a good show. If that means I'm spineless or morally fucked, so be it. Sorry to rant.
    •  mikemike
    • Yeah, it is their choice, if they don't feel that selling 30 tickets is a problem for them, then they can do it, its just I'd rather not fill the pockets of a venue that already does well by all accounts.

There would be uproar if Corporation started with this.
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • mike says:

There would be uproar if Corporation started with this.

True, and I would be behind that uproar. It's a backhanded way to do business. However, there's not that many local bands getting their chance to play with the big boys at Corp...
    •  mikemike
    • It does happen though, maybe its just a lack of quality in this city? There I said it, we do have a lack of decent local bands at the moment, and the good ones play too much or not at all!
    •  HogTeamHogTeam
    • uproar ha ha i love it.
      yeah let me just say that firstly hog dont like p2p gigs and this is the first one we have agreed to do.
      taking all coments on board that p2p is bullshit and its them who should pay us however we accepted this gig because we decided as a band that we wanted to do it.

fair comment what you have al said.....looking at it now after reading your comments i cant say i dont agree but its done now... we have said we wil do it and we wil sell 30 tickets. be nice if any of you could make it to this gig but if your not interested in the show then lets leave it at that....this topic is after all for promoting shows...not the principles behind p2p.

and for those of you wondering.....if we dont sell 30 tickets............well......unlucky for the rios

ager
    •  mikemike
    • Sell them to mates and keep the money I'd say.
    •  HogTeamHogTeam
    • and good bands in this city...ll the good ones never gig. thts the problem...and the ones that gig too much are the ones who no one wants to see.

like us:)

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - Hand Of Grief & Ted Maul, Leeds Rio's 27th September