Menu

Forums - General Chat

Help adjusting my rod

•  noonenoone
    • I know a few people on here are very knowledgeable on guitars but, myself , despite owning and playing them for the last 14 years, know very little when it comes to repair and maintenance so could somebody kindly give me some advice on adjusting my truss rod?
      I have been using my SG , which I bought about 11 years ago and has a glue in neck, to write stuff in a potentially new band and somebody decided we should tune to C. I havent touched that guitar since last Friday but today I picked it up and the low E has an horrendous buzz on it. The action is really sweet and intonation is pretty much bang on so i dont want to raise the bridge.
      How do I adjust the truss and does it need tightening or loosening?
      I'm terrified to touch it.
      Please help.
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • How can the intonation and action be sweet if its buzzing? lol
      If its set up for E, it'll need setting up again for C.
      The strings wont be pulling as tightly on the neck so it will be bowing backwards hence the buzz on the frets as the head isnt as high as it would normally be (I assume)
      Basically its trial and error till you get it just right.

Mark the truss rod nut before you start so you know where you are with a pen or something. Then if your think its getting worse, put it back to its original position.

Remember to loosen the strings a little bit when messing with it as I forgot to do that once and about had my eye out when a string went.

Start off loosening it off to see what happens, then if that doesnt work, start tightnening it.
      BEWARE OVER TIGHTENING as this could ruin the neck completeley.

If you google truss rod adjustment there are many guides to doing it that are a lot more detailed than mine.
    •  MatthewRedStarsMatthewRedStars
    • Truss rod fear is invented by guitar techs so you pay £30 for them to turn a nut.

Follow the above advice and go slow and you can't (well you can) go wrong.
    •  noonenoone
    • I meant that, apart from this problem, the guitar has always had a fantastic action since the day I bought it and is a pleasure to play but thanks for the good advice and for patronising me a tiny bit.
      Think I'll just throw it away and buy a new one though.
      But really. I'll take it down to practice rooms today and ask everybody to help me so that , if it does go wrong, I can blame everybody except myself.
      We've now decided on tuning to D. C sounded stupid for the stuff we were doing.
      Thank you leet guitarists.
    •  PodgePodge
    • whats the new band like kev, fast or slow?
    •  noonenoone
    • only had 3 hours together but going for a pacey d-beat with hardcore breaks.
      Victims ? Disfear ? Wolfpack? that kind of thing.
      Duddell has written some slow , Sabbathy intros.
      Cheers for truss rod advice but further investigation revealed a worryingly loose nut as cause of the buzzing.. Somebody has knocked my guitar over I reckon and not had the decency to tell me.
    •  GarethGareth
    • Capo 1st fret. Use right hand to fret the highest fret on the high e. Check the string height from the 8th fret. If it's touching, the neck needs loosening and other way round.

Do a quarter turn at a time and let the neck settle for 30 minutes once adjusted before checking again.

It's a tedious task but simple enough.
    •  PodgePodge
    • ultimatekev says:
      only had 3 hours together but going for a pacey d-beat with hardcore breaks.
      Victims ? Disfear ? Wolfpack? that kind of thing.
      Duddell has written some slow , Sabbathy intros.

sounds good

Forums - General Chat - Help adjusting my rod