Menu
    •  RamoRamo
    • I've been thinking of getting a membership for a long time now, have always spent my dollars on frivolous items instead.

Is it about time i get myself on board? Any of you lot got memberships/experience with this?
    •  PodgePodge
    • Donny and Tim are your men in the know. I think they used to work for PRS
    •  OllieOllie
    • I've signed up but mainly becuase our label needed someone in the band to be a member so their version of it in the States could do something...I'm not sure what!!!

So far it's been on no benefit but I may change my tune if we get a big fat cheque through from radio play!!!
    •  sedulusrichsedulusrich
    • Dude.. its well worth it. I think its £30 one off joining fee for life now.

This will be the most useful thing you'll get out of it at this stage.. you can get about £5-£6 royalty per show for playing pubs and small venues... not much, but it helps towards the petrol. Once a member, you just go online and submit the dates and a set list.

www.prsformusic.com/creators/memberresources/gigsandclubs/Pag...

If you are playing bigger shows at "proper" music venues, then royalties come from a percentage of the box office. PRS take 3% of the total box office and is split between the "prs members" music thats played on the night, so you have to submit a set list.

But remember - PRS represents the writers, so if you play a set of covers, then since you arent the writer, you cant get any royalties.

Then also - if you get played on the TV and Radio they will collect for that as well. But you will have to get played on bigger stations to receive any substantial cash.

If you're in a band like me, unsigned, playing regularly in mostly bars and pubs, the occasional bigger support slot, then you can expect an nice little amount at each distribution to help towards van hire, petrol or that next set run of CDs or tshirts.

As they say, every little helps..
    •  OllieOllie
    • The deal I got is for £10 and they take that out of the first payment they make to you.

How does it work if you're already getting paid for the gigs? We just did the Goblin tour in some pretty big venues but there were contract agreements in place at each venue with Orange Goblin and as part of the contract we got paid £100 per night. I presume this supercedes payments from PRS? Similarly for gigs in our local venue we usually get between £100-£150 so again I'm guessing that counts as the full payment due.
    •  bosskeloidbosskeloid
    • Hi Rich.....

I work for the Live music team at PRS so can help if needed!!

GURT have made a couple of hundred quid for making abit of noise.. all gone towards new Merch... Win!
    •  bosskeloidbosskeloid
    • What you get paid for a gig is completely separate Ollie.. that's your payment... You will be owed PRS live royalties too.

If you send me a set list to gareth.kelly@prsformusic.com i can get it added against the Goblin Tour (which i am looking after) but i am aware that most of the venues fall under the gigs and pubs acheme that SedulusRich just mentioned so you will have to do them yourself...
    • The payment you arrange with the promoter or venue to perform, is completely separate (and in addition to) from any royalties you receive from PRS.

Its an important distinction that's made - there you as a "performer", and you as the "songwriter".

Your PRS royalties will come from the licence fee that the venue has to pay to PRS to legally give them permission for your songs (which are in copyright) to be performed in public at their venue.

So - if you are paid to perform at a venue, and you play your own songs, then you would get 2 payments, 1st as a performer, 2nd from PRS as your copyright songs have been performed in public.

Similarly.. a covers band would be paid a fee to play, but the songwriters (not the covers band) would receive a payment from PRS for that show.

PRS will of course need a setlist to know who's songs were played. At the bigger "live music venues",as opposed to pubs and clubs, the venue should ask for your set list as they are supposed to submit them to PRS, but I would do it directly to PRS yourself just to be sure its done.

• We both work at PRS.. if you couldn't guess.
    •  bosskeloidbosskeloid
    • Your better at explaining this than me!!
    •  MazzMazz
    • I WANTZ ME MONIES!
    •  RamoRamo
    • Thanks dudes, sounds ideal, i think the last time i looked into it it was £90 a year or something like that but £30 one off payment is much more reasonable!

I have a couple of questions that you might be able to help me with...

Is it best for all members of a band to sign up and receive royalties individually or for one member per band to be the designated PRS member?

Assuming that everyone in the band has an equal part in the writing process, does PRS split the allocated royalties per band members on their system or does each member get a set amount regardless of whether or not other members of the band are on PRS?

Can you backdate gigs you've played and if so how far back can you go?

Lastly what happens if you play in an improvised jam collective, can you just make up songtitles for a setlist?

• Ramo says:
      Thanks dudes, sounds ideal, i think the last time i looked into it it was £90 a year or something like that but £30 one off payment is much more reasonable!

I have a couple of questions that you might be able to help me with...

Is it best for all members of a band to sign up and receive royalties individually or for one member per band to be the designated PRS member?

Assuming that everyone in the band has an equal part in the writing process, does PRS split the allocated royalties per band members on their system or does each member get a set amount regardless of whether or not other members of the band are on PRS?

Lastly what happens if you play in an improvised jam collective, can you just make up songtitles for a setlist?

No worries man... here goes..

- This is up to you and how what you want to arrange within your band. As with my band, I am the only member signed up as we invest all our PRS royalties back into the band. If we start earning enough to help live on, and pay the rent, then it would probably be best to individually sign up.

- Again this is up to you and how you agree within your band. You need to arrange what proportion each member gets. If you are the only person in your band, then you would register the song 100%in your name to get all the royalties paid out. If you all sign up, then you arrange the split accordingly.

- I think you can backdate 6 months. I.e. if you sign up in Jan-June, you can back date to Jan01, and if you sign up in jul-dec, then back date to July 01.

- PRS can only pay royalties on songs that are registered with them. So if you make it up there and then, you can submit the setlist with a song called "improv jam 01" or something, then register that as a song later if you like.

Hope that helps?

•  RamoRamo
    • Fantastic, cheers Rich, think am gonna sign up within the next week or so.
    • no problem! Just drop me a message, or Gareth at his work email (somewhere in a post above...) if you need help.

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - PRS