Menu

Forums - General Chat

Amplifier Worship

•  GrymGrym
    • How do you people afford all this lovely gear? I think I win the prize for least stuff used.

Marshall MG100RCD - 100w head
      Marshall 1X12 Cab - If instruments are going through the PA, whatever cab I can borrow if not.

That's it. I briefly dabbled with effects but for pure metal infused distorto gain nothing comes near the OD channel on the Marshall, full gain, 3/4 bass, no mid, 1/2 treble, mids scooped even more with the contour control.
    •  Tom PTom P
    • Grym says:

How do you people afford all this lovely gear? I think I win the prize for least stuff used.

Marshall 1X12 Cab - If instruments are going through the PA, whatever cab I can borrow if not.

That's it. I briefly dabbled with effects but for pure metal infused distorto gain nothing comes near the OD channel on the Marshall, full gain, 3/4 bass, no mid, 1/2 treble, mids scooped even more with the contour control.

You get a mighty sound out of that head to say all the mids are scooped dude
    •  GrymGrym
    • Tom P says:

Grym says:

How do you people afford all this lovely gear? I think I win the prize for least stuff used.

You get a mighty sound out of that head to say all the mids are scooped dude
      Yeah, I think it's the contour control that has a lot to do with it. Just dialing it round from one end to the other with the mid set to zero goes from bowel loosening low end sludge mush to crunchy low end METAL. So somewhere in between just suits me fine. I suppose being tuned to C doesn't hurt either when it comes down to it.
    •  OllieOllie
    • tom.a says:

Ollie says:

Just got back from jamming using my Marshall JMP50...fuck me, it's awesome!!! We were playing so loud I binned the Powerbrake and it just got better!!!

ive tried power breaks in the past but there is a certain bite point on valve amps where they sound immense, that even when pushed to that point with a hot plate or power break it just dont fully compare

I know what you mean, the powerbrake does kind of compress the sound a bit. I was running the brake flat out so decided it was making no difference and when I took it out of the chain the sound really opened up. Apparently the Marshall Powerbrakes ain't that great compared to the THDs, in fact I've heard that Marshall rate the THDs better...which begs the question why don't they improve the Powerbrake.

I may still have to use the brake at gigs though sometimes as you know how pissy sound guys can be when it comes to amp volume.
    •  Tom PTom P
    • Podge, would you recommend that stereo 200 amp for bass? I'm guessing it's a PA but I'm looking to build a big bass rig with a fat open sound and that sounds like it might do the job (used PAs for bass before and they work pretty nicely). I also might be interested in some of those speaker cabs you have going.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • Donny says:

bad admiral says:

J Parker says:

Russian Big Muff

nowt finer sir.

Bass player from Lesbian let me use his every night on tour. Amazing little things. Sounds so fucking heavy

they're proper tasty...need to get some more patch cables and i'll bring it along next time so i can tandem it up with the hot head and huge cheap nice guitar! then i can bring more rock. i think i have one of the newer ones as it's a bit less heavy (in terms of physical weight rather than sound) than the ones made from decommissioned warheads and weapons grade asbestos.
    •  KingmobKingmob
    • if anyone is interested I'm selling a Sovtek Mig 100h guitar head.
      Has EL-34 tubes, was given a full service by Dennis up in fife, all tubes replaced, perfect working order. Only been used once since in a practice room.

£500.
      email questions, darth_buckfast@hotmail.com
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • Ditto sorry to Jump on as well the Laney 50 watt head recently revalved still for sale.

mail me... or PM.
    •  JackJack
    • Kingmob says:
      if anyone is interested I'm selling a Sovtek Mig 100h guitar head.
      Has EL-34 tubes, was given a full service by Dennis up in fife, all tubes replaced, perfect working order. Only been used once since in a practice room.

£500.
      email questions, darth_buckfast@hotmail.com

These are superb amps
    •  JackJack
    • Grym says:

Price wise a bit of shopping around and you can get vintage amps and cabs for seriously low money. That Thor I have was £200, the sound city cab was £150 and the Regent was given to me. Paid a small amount to get both amps up and running
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • Jack Dickinson says:
      Grym says:

Price wise a bit of shopping around and you can get vintage amps and cabs for seriously low money. That Thor I have was £200, the sound city cab was £150 and the Regent was given to me. Paid a small amount to get both amps up and running

watch this space for that regent in action...

Forums - General Chat - Amplifier Worship