Menu

Forums - General Chat

Books on metal/punk etc

•  PetePete
    • I'm looking for suggestions on good books on music - about a genre or style or period rather than a band or autobiography and typically about metal or punk/hardcore - like Lords of Chaos, Choosing Death, Scenes from the Underground etc...

Anyone got any suggestions? I've got one about UK Anarcho punk in the 80s in the post but want more...
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • the 4 books by ian glasper about uk hardcore/punk in the 80s to 90s
    •  mikemike
    • Duno if you are a fan but im reading Mick Middles' book on Joy Division/New Order and its great. Isn't there a Black Flag/Rollins book?
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Hopkins says:
      the 4 books by ian glasper about uk hardcore/punk in the 80s to 90s

Really enjoyed these- the first 2 as they covered bands I had revered since childhood and never got to see the first time round, the second 2 even more so as it was stuff I could relate to first hand.

The Rollins Black Flag book (Get in the Van) is good but his writing style doesn't work for everyone. Stevie Chick's Black Flag book (Spray Paint the Walls) is worth a read and obviously less Rollins-biased.

Others I'd recommend are:

Our Band Could Be Your Life- Michael Azerrad (a chapter each on 13 influential US bands of the 80s including Minor Threat, Minutemen, Big Black, Husker du, Black Flag amongst others). Nicley written- even persuaded me to revisit the likes of Sonic Youth who I always thought were pretty cack.

American Hardcore- Steven Blush.
      Something of a wasted opportunity (much like the spin off film of the same name) but covers so much ground of one of the most essential musical movements (US punk 80 - 86) that it's hard not to devour if you've been moved by the adrenalin rush of Bad Brains, MDC, Circle Jerks et al.

The Primal Screamer- Nick Blinko
      Part autobiography of the mentally unstable mind behind Rudimentary Peni, part fictional appraisal of the early 80s anarcho scene interspersed with many a mental health conundrum. I loved it.

As for metal, I'd recommend the biographies by Lemmy, Ozzy, Tony Iommi and Tom G Warrior but can't say any of the more wide ranging books have really gripped me since Lords of Chaos.
      [Edited by basstard at 23:40 on 29/12/12]
    •  mikemike
    • Ozzy's autobiography was good, but the film God Bless Ozzy Osbourne is a much better look at his life in so much more depth.
    •  MazzMazz
    • I have this....and it is good.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/09/78/03/80/81/0978038081127_300X300.jpg
    •  johnolithjohnolith
    • Our Band Could Be Your Life was good, I've heard Get In The Van is good also. There's a book on Swedish Death Metal I want to read.

Swedish Death Metal
      http://www.bazillionpoints.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/9780979616310.jpg
    •  basstardbasstard
    • I'm guessing the Swedish Death Metal book is about ye olde Swede DM (Entombed, Dismember, At the Gates, Grave etc.) rather than the Gothenburg technical twaddle that gets called DM (In Flames, Dark Tranquility and all that). If so I'd be interested.
    •  johnolithjohnolith
    • Yeah I think it's about the beginnings of the 'first wave', Nihilist, HM-2 etc hopefully not the melodic In Flames rubbish!
    •  CareyCarey
    • Bass Culture by Lloyd Bradley is a really readable history of the beginnings of reggae.Really fancy re-reading it now.

Yet to come across a similar, affordable book about dancehall.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • Carey says:
      Bass Culture by Lloyd Bradley is a really readable history of the beginnings of reggae.Really fancy re-reading it now.

Yet to come across a similar, affordable book about dancehall.

ooh...interesting...may see if I can kindle that.

•  PetePete
    • Hopkins says:
      the 4 books by ian glasper about uk hardcore/punk in the 80s to 90s

I've just got the 4th one (the 90s one) through the post today. Already placed it in the bathroom for toilet reading - which is a high compliment for a book for me.

Forums - General Chat - Books on metal/punk etc