Menu
    •  basstardbasstard
    • I've got to spend a week in Derby next month for work (week starting Sept 10th).
      Any tips for anything happening there or general info on places to go, decent pubs, things to see/ do in the evening etc. would be appreciated.
    •  alanalan
    • It's pretty ridiculous, but I've lived in the Shire most of my life and I can't actually answer that question.

Get the bus over to Nottingham on 14th for Torche?
    •  EggyEggy
    • I've never been on a night out in Derby, other than a few gigs years ago. There's a nice pub over the road from the train station, follow the road to the right, it might be called the Brunswick, it's like a brewery within a pub, or at least it was about 5 years ago.

I know there's one or two rock pubs, not been in them though, and can't recall what they're called at present.
    •  mikemike
    • We've played at The Bell and some bar which had an amazing gig room upstairs down a passage next door to that but can't remember the name. There's not much to do as far as I can remember.
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Ok, thanks for that.
      I've been to a couple of gigs there years ago (Victoria Inn and Wherehouse/Warehouse(?)). Can't say I felt inspired by what I saw of the city....
      I won't be able to get to the Notts Torche gig as I'm coming home on the Friday afternoon- shame it's not earlier in the week.
      I'll give the pub near the train station a whirl. May be a week for the cinema.
    •  EggyEggy
    • I went to the Vic a couple of times many years ago, it never seemed that great to say it's one of the main rock pubs in a city, but I now know there are other places, the Bell is one - which I've never been in, there's another pub that puts gigs on too, can't remember the name of it now, think it might be the Flowerpot.

I've been in formed by a few people that Derby is a very good night out, and there are some nice drinking establishments, never been yet though.
    •  GarethGareth
    • mike says:
      We've played at The Bell and some bar which had an amazing gig room upstairs down a passage next door to that but can't remember the name. There's not much to do as far as I can remember.

They were on the same road. I think it was Vines Bar.
    •  mikemike
    • That's the one, we had a drink with Brian downstairs, cheap beer and good music as far as I remember, try there!
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Hmmm, I think I'll keep expectations low. Any goodies a bonus.
    •  GarethGareth
    • mike says:
      That's the one, we had a drink with Brian downstairs, cheap beer and good music as far as I remember, try there!

I remember them projecting awful townie 'night out' photos of people onto the walls, but then playing decent music. I get the feeling it wasn't normally a rock bar.
    •  EggyEggy
    • I'm aware there's a bar called Mosh. I'd assume that would be one of the better, more heavier places to go.

As far as I'm aware Derby just doesn't really have a music scene like Nottingham and Sheffield, perhaps it's too close to Nottingham for enough people to get involved in it. Derby's also too far away from me to venture out there on a night out for drinks, in fact to say it's the capital of Derbyshire (or whatever you want to call it) it's not a very luring place like other main cities in neighbouring counties, I've could definately count on two hands to number of times I've been to Derby, and it's the only city in the county I've lived all my life.

There's a decent museum in the city centre I understand, if you're into that sort of thing.
    •  basstardbasstard
    • A couple of days in.... it's a bit shit.

Forums - General Chat - Derby