Menu

Forums - General Chat

Rock-A-Rolla Magazine.

•  Matt_tgpgMatt_tgpg
    • ChrisSD says:

haha :P

maaaaybe.

Heh, a friend of mine writes for them too. I know a few of his 'less positive' reviews have sometimes not been printed. Frequently, they will be switched with a more favorable review.

I kinda understand, advertising pays for the magazine to be run, you give their releases a slating, they won't be taking out ad space anymore! It's a bastard but that's the way business goes.
    •  ChrisSDChrisSD
    • yeah, totally. but some magazines have the balls to do it. i know what you're saying matt, but i was never totally convinced it was for those reasons anyway.

i know that he liked the red sparowes album 'every red blah...' for example. i reviewed it and said it was mediocre (understand i didn't slate it at all), and he asked me to edit it so that it read a little more positive.

it was his magazine though, still is. up to him the way he runs it. i guess for the first few issues he wanted the magazine to be seen liking the right things completely. that's totally understandable. maybe now the odd negative review of something pretty big in the 'scene' does get printed. i don't know, i haven't managed to pick it up in a fair while to be honest. might to today actually. see if i could review in there again...
    •  Matt_tgpgMatt_tgpg
    • ChrisSD says:

yeah, totally. but some magazines have the balls to do it. i know what you're saying matt, but i was never totally convinced it was for those reasons anyway.

i know that he liked the red sparowes album 'every red blah...' for example. i reviewed it and said it was mediocre (understand i didn't slate it at all), and he asked me to edit it so that it read a little more positive.

it was his magazine though, still is. up to him the way he runs it. i guess for the first few issues he wanted the magazine to be seen liking the right things completely. that's totally understandable. maybe now the odd negative review of something pretty big in the 'scene' does get printed. i don't know, i haven't managed to pick it up in a fair while to be honest. might to today actually. see if i could review in there again...

Fair play to the guy, I suppose as editor, you may want a certain slant for the magazine. In many ways I suppose it should reflect his tastes and ascetic. I have heard some labels can be assholes to deal with (especially the big ones) when it comes to ad space, which they tend to be expected to be tied to reviews. It happens believe me....

•  ChrisSDChrisSD
    • oh yeah, i totally know it happens. i'm just not sure whether that was the reason in the early days. i think it was more 'his baby' at the start, which again, is totally understandable.

aaaanyway, still a very good mag regardless. ignore me, i do!
    •  Matt_tgpgMatt_tgpg
    • ChrisSD says:

oh yeah, i totally know it happens. i'm just not sure whether that was the reason in the early days. i think it was more 'his baby' at the start, which again, is totally understandable.

aaaanyway, still a very good mag regardless. ignore me, i do!

Nah, it's cool man. I see where you're coming from. I'm a fan of the mag, considered trying for a writing slot as well.
    •  Catacomb RecordsCatacomb Records
    • Ollie says:

I like Classic Rock...but then I'm an old fart!!!

That's my fave too... I've just subscribed to Uncut magazine with my Tesco Clubcard vouchers... only cost me £11 for the year, happy days!!!
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • ChrisSD says:

Kerrang! used to be great. The writing is still of a high quality. It's just that it features 0 bands I have even a passing interest in. Plus about 75% of its volume is now adverts.

To an extent I agree with this. A lot of people slag K! off but the writing is pretty good and lacks the pretentiousness of Terrorizer or the sheer rubbish MH sometimes come out with. People criticize it for concentrating on the prevailing trends, and this is mostly true but every so often they'll give the album of the month to a completely unexpected band. Def Leppard's new album got 4 Ks and album of the month not too far back, that was a surprise as I didn't think K! concentrated on such stuff these days. Also I've seen plenty of 4/5 K live and album reviews featuring bands who are much less commercial than the main ones featured.

I like Classic Rock too, but it can get a little over-nostalgic and list-orientated.

I started out reading Q, who I have to thank for giving me the initiative to go out and buy Sabbath albums, but who were so enamoured with Radiohead I was put off them before I'd heard any of their stuff....

Uncut is an odd magazine. They used to irritate me no end by refusing to sort their reviews pages alphabetically, I had to scan every page to find the review I wanted.
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • sabbathfan says:

mike says:
      Tell you whats gone downhill apart from the reviews, Terrorizer, if I read another article about death metal bands or bedroom black metal projects I'm gona go insane.

I flick through Terrorizer now these days, I just don't find it really does anything for me anymore. I buy it but read it once and get really bored, not much outside the reviews interests me enough.

Even Metal Hammer is getting to be a better read than Terrorizer, and I wouldn't have said that a year ago....

Despite a few very geeky black metal pieces, Terrorizer is currently bizarrely on-Ninehertz - recent issue had interviews with Torche, Opeth, Steve Von Till, Beehoover, Moss ...! It does it quite well as well. Used to like Jon Selzer the editor but he left sadly
    •  Rob SmithRob Smith
    • Ive just subscribed. Way i see it what's £15 when computer music are asking £40ish & all the other music mags are crap, it'll be nice to read something I can relate to musically.
    •  paul gpaul g
    • I buy rock-a-rolla religously,
      for me no other such easily available magazine covers such a good array of bands,
      I think its really let down by the standard of the reviews though,
      hopefully you can help get them sorted on that though Mike!

Would be nice if they covered some more UK bands at a pre hip label stage as well.

•  mikemike
    • I'll try Paul, just did a Bilge Pump review so look out for that! Leeds!
    •  Catacomb RecordsCatacomb Records
    • We were gonna advertise in there... until they sent us their rates... fook me!!!
    •  OllieOllie
    • I just checked out the website, looks like a cool magazine but not really my thing. Don't think they'd dig Grifter so I'll save myself the postage.

Any tips for other cool magazines to read or send stuff to would be appreciated.

Forums - General Chat - Rock-A-Rolla Magazine.