Menu

Forums - General Chat

food thread

•  CareyCarey
    • Moving the talk away from Gareth's digestion, I tried baklava for the first time yesterday. Good stuff, would eat again.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • been on a vegan, raw food fix recently so lots of shallot and carrot salad with coriander and other bits and bobs with chevda sprinklies. buttloads of hummus as well...

silken tofu with dark agave nectar does a very passable impression of crème caramel.

I also made a fake meat feast pizza on Friday which was okay although quorn peperoni is fucking rank.

yesterday I went to a farmer's market and pigged out on ham, bread, cheese and chilli chutney
    •  GarethGareth
    • I am off to Tesco when it opens for scones or at least scone ingredients (assuming I can lay my hands on an appropriate cutter). Failing that, all the pastry products I can carry home.
    •  CareyCarey
    • Quorn pepperoni is awesome! Almost makes up for my disappointment that they don't make pate anymore.

What is REALLY weird is Linda McCartney fake prawns. Horribly accurate texture, nasty taste.
    •  PetePete
    • Carey says:
      Quorn pepperoni is awesome! Almost makes up for my disappointment that they don't make pate anymore.

What is REALLY weird is Linda McCartney fake prawns. Horribly accurate texture, nasty taste.

Agreed on both accounts. I bought a large deep pan cheese/tom pizza, and added quorn pepperoni, quorn mince and jalapenos the other day. Lovely.

And spot on about king prawns - texture uncomfortably accurate, taste disgusting.

I got quorn ready to eat pasties yesterday, one steak slice and one cornish pasty type. I'm looking forward to eating them for me lunch today.
    • looks like i'm on my jayz on the quorn peperoni. made a jerk quorn chunk and quinoa biryani last night. veeeeery tasty.
    •  CareyCarey
    • That sounds great. Is there a recipe or was it a spontaneous sort of thing?
    • leftovers mainly and what was in my girlfriend's cupboards. still working through a pot of jerk seasoning so getting creative with stuff to use it up and stop it from getting boring...

but recipe would be:

- prepare enough quinoa for 4 through the boiling and simmering type thing
      - heat butter and rapeseed oil
      - brown some meat/quorn with jerk seasoning and red chilis in the fat
      - chuck in some peas, sweet corn, peppers, spinach, onion
      - jiggle it about until it's all covered in oil/meat juice/seasoning combo
      - whack up the heat and chuck the quinoa in with meat and veg and blast for a little while on high.

job done. works well with turkey and lean beef chunks. if you're of a veggie persuasion, mushrooms and the brownish quorn chunks work well.

one last thing - cook quinoa in stock and seasoning

i fried a couple of duck eggs last night which were glorious
      [Edited by bad admiral at 09:25 on 08/05/13]
    •  CareyCarey
    • Sounds tasty and easy, cheers!
    •  OllieOllie
    • I've just been to Nando's...it was great.
    •  mambamamba
    • I just had a big fat pub burger with Stilton, washed down with a couple of pints of Landlord.
    •  GarethGareth
    • mamba says:
      I just had a big fat pub burger with Stilton, washed down with a couple of pints of Landlord.

I want that now.
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • Me too. As it is, dirrty takeaway pizza is winging its way over.
    •  mikemike
    • I've just had a few meals out for work, best and most unusual dish was a baked peach stuffed with Boursin with grilled cheddar on the top and served with a marmalade chutney, so good.

Forums - General Chat - food thread