Menu

Forums - General Chat

Fuzz Pedals

•  LimbBobLimbBob
    • Lets talk about Fuzz baby, lets talk about you and me!

I recently bought a clone of a Devi Ever 'Hyperion' and it's pretty damn good! If you push it too hard it starts to clip and groan a bit which it my books makes it GREAT!

What is everyone else using and loving at the moment?
    •  johnolithjohnolith
    • Sold my BOSS Hyper Fuzz FZ-2 last year as I needed the money, regret it as it actually made the sound of fucking space.
    •  JackJack
    • I've got a few different ones:

USA big muff, sort of the staple easy go to fuzz pedal, the only thing I hate is how much noise it makes when I'm not playing or playing quietly

Electro harmonix germanium fuzz, a much smoother fuzz, has a great overdrive sound too, only used for recording so far

Dutton Germanium fuzz. A fuzz face clone, only one of two that exist that I've used live for a couple of tours, it sounds great, no noise like the Big Muff and it really keeps the tone of the guitar sounding great as well as reponding to attack well

I have one of those really small EH big muff pedals too, forgotten the name but it sounds pretty nasty in a good way
      [Edited by Jack at 16:45 on 14/01/13]
    •  GarethGareth
    • Not owned many, had a Devi Ever Vintage Fuzz Master that was way too over the top for me. I use a lot of jazz chord voicings and it just made it turn to noisy mush so I sold it on.

Currently using a Subdecay Flying Tomato fuzz, nice, 90's voiced fuzz with EQ and a bias control so it's pretty flexible although I only use it for one song at the moment.

Finally, I built an Ampeg Octave Scrambler clone. Nice dirty sound but useless with low output pickups as it just chokes out really easily. Not sure why it does that, I possibly have the LED installed backwards but it's been on my to-do list for a while and still not got round to it.
    •  GarethGareth
    • I also have a box full of components but I've been waiting on someone to provide some drilled enclosures for over 18 months and I've kind of forgotten about them.

Which reminds me, I know someone with a drill press so that might be something to do this year. Build some Fuzz Face (and other) clones!
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • not sure if it counts as fuzz, but i like my turbo rat with all the middle scooped out at the amp.

used to have one of those sovtek big muffs back in the day which was made out of bits of missile and sounded right fucking nice.
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Sanford & Sonny- Bluebeard Fuzz

It's like a vintage Big Muff with more low end and extra turbo-powered grit. I've tried loads over the years and this is by far the best for bass (pretty great for guitar aswell).
    •  GarethGareth
    • bad admiral says:
      not sure if it counts as fuzz, but i like my turbo rat with all the middle scooped out at the amp.

used to have one of those sovtek big muffs back in the day which was made out of bits of missile and sounded right fucking nice.

Should have kept hold of the Russian Muff, those are highly sought after these days, especially for bass.

And my Rat is still my favourite dirt box to date. I got a cheap Rat 2 off Ebay and replaced the op amp with a classic Rat equivalent. Sounds immense, despite the limitations of the EQ on that thing. I'd mod it more but I'm scared of breaking it.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • Gareth says:
      bad admiral says:
      not sure if it counts as fuzz, but i like my turbo rat with all the middle scooped out at the amp.

Should have kept hold of the Russian Muff, those are highly sought after these days, especially for bass.

And my Rat is still my favourite dirt box to date. I got a cheap Rat 2 off Ebay and replaced the op amp with a classic Rat equivalent. Sounds immense, despite the limitations of the EQ on that thing. I'd mod it more but I'm scared of breaking it.

i don't think you can break rats. mine's indestructable. still do have the muff, but the battery port has a loose wire that i'm too lazy to fix. it's a quick job that i'll sort out at some point.
    •  OllieOllie
    • I don't really use fuzz or overdrive...Les Paul into a Marshall kind of guy. I do use a Boss SD1 Super Overdrive for one solo for more sustain but that's it. I do have a Rat 2 though, had it for around 13-14 years and it's still going strong and sounds great for really dirty, grinding overdrive. On one of the Goatsnake albums there's a picture in the background of a stack of Sunn heads and on the top there's a Rat so I guess that's part of their sound...I used mine through a Roland Micro Cube on a clean setting and a got a scaled down version of the same tone.

Forums - General Chat - Fuzz Pedals