Menu

Forums - General Chat

free entry

•  OllieOllie
    • The Unicorn and venues that operate a similar system are very lucky in that they have some funding from the brewery to support live music. We have a similar venue now in Plymouth that does the same thing. Obviously for most venues that don't have this luxury free gigs are only really an option for local band nights where travel expenses...etc are not really an issue but for travelling bands a door charge is inevitable so yeah, £3 is pretty good...it's less than the price of a pint nowadays.
    •  jimbishjimbish
    • You talking about the underground ol?

•  jimbishjimbish
    • Some promoters will never put in the groundwork to push a gig,or leave it the last minute. If I can't find anything about a gig I know is on I think that's a bad sign. They then seem suprised hardly any showed up.only so much a singleband can doo. Perhaps that's why sometimes at some gigs each band has its own audience that promptly leave,replaced by another one.
    •  bazzathespazbazzathespaz
    • jimbish says:
      Some promoters will never put in the groundwork to push a gig,or leave it the last minute. If I can't find anything about a gig I know is on I think that's a bad sign. They then seem suprised hardly any showed up.only so much a singleband can doo. Perhaps that's why sometimes at some gigs each band has its own audience that promptly leave,replaced by another one.

That is true in some cases but even if a promoter flogs themself stupid promoting a gig that's no guarantee these days.

Curse ye Facebook events and yer promises of great riches and bountiful wenches, when in reality all that transpires is a chap and his parrot and someone asleep at the back.
    •  OllieOllie
    • jimbish says:
      You talking about the underground ol?

That's the one.

It's true you can flog your arse off promoting an event and it's definitely no guarantee. Plus you should never take the numbers you get in facebook events invite lists as any guarantee of who will turn up or not. Facebook is a very good way to spread the info about a gig but in most cases only to those who you or the other bands know on their friend lists. The actual turn out equation is usually take the number of definite attendees in facebook, divide that number by two...then halve it!!!

The big problem for bands is when you're playing out of town gigs. You can do a certain amount of promo on the internet but you're mostly at the mecy of the local promoters and if you get there and find they've done fuck all except invite a few people on Facebook it's annoying as fuck. Especially when you get told things like "oh it's usually rammed"...etc. Some promoters do work their nuts off then it is a case of whether people decide to turn up but when you've dragged your arse halfway across the country and the promoter has done fuck all it's a bit rude. I've spent hours in the past when we've had out of town gigs scouring the internet for music forums and websites local to that area to post or contact about the gigs but it's still a lottery as to whether people turn up. that said I would much rather play to 20 people who are loving it and losing their shit than to 200 who really don't want to know
    •  bosskeloidbosskeloid
    • Well said Oli.... Definately a 1/4 of all facebook groups will show! I have a real problem thinking people will not show as i put my nights on in South London and people seem inherently lazy in London. But always put thought on bands going well together which usually is the key... and most importantly if the Promoter is not at the gig from start to finish they quite obviously don't GIVE A FUCK!!

Forums - General Chat - free entry