Menu

Forums - General Chat

London advice please.

•  GarethGareth
    • I'm sure the curry I had on Brick Lane was fine, but it was 5 years ago.
    •  noonenoone
    • Brick Lane is ace for Turkish heroin.
    •  Chesney ChristChesney Christ
    • Curries in London - there are fantastic places everywhere from Croydon to Lewisham but they're a bit of a trek if you're central. Similarly, Tooting has some of the best Indian restaurants in the country but there are few other reasons to go there. Your best bet is Euston - there are numerous incredible restaurants near there.
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • bitterandtwisted says:

There's practically nowhere to eat cheap but Brick Lane is fab for cheapish Indian food.

Very true. Last time I went down the smoke, places were either dirt cheap and looked like they were selling discount human meat, or were far too up market for the likes of me and the mates.

Good luck with finding some nice things Mike, you've been given plenty of choice here!
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • benares on berkeley square has a michelin star (only indian restaurant in uk with that particular honour bestowed upon it). service is impeccable and the food gracefully and litheley offers itself from the plate and dances like an elfin wench across the palate.

borough market is good for some brunch and picking up things to do picnics with. that's not far from tower bridge.

the fitzroy tavern is up rathbone street and is a sam smith's pub. aleister crowley used to drink there and invented the house cocktail: kubla khan no 2 which was equal parts gin, vermouth and laudinum. don't ask fot it now though. dylan thomas or some other tweed-ensconced romantic used to drink there too.

if they still have to bones exhibition on at the wellcome trust on euston road, that's pretty interesting. if not, there's a collection of weird medical shit upstairs there, which slays. it's free.

see if you can find an umbala (indian sweet shop) which will give you half a tonne of bhaji for a fiver. there's one near euston (i think drummond street). don't go in around eid or diwali because the queues will be insane.

if you want to go and have a little shout at the israeli embassy like everyone else, it's on high street kensington, although, it's now been closed off. there's a few starbucks around and you can throw your shoes at that or something.

portobello road is fun if you like looking at stuff that's been plundered from pubs.

•  MazzMazz
    • I shall be arriving in London the 16th April as a part of my southern progress

13th Visit some English heritage places in Gloucestershire then head back to Bath
      14th Visit Old Sarum, Sherbourne Castle then stay overnight in Shaftesbury
      15th Spend the morning in Shaftesbury then head to Porchester Castle. Overnight stay in Southampton
      16th Travel to London, Get to the 02 by boat and see AC/DC.
      17th V&A during the day, Lion King in the evening
      18th Tower of London then head home.

If you see me then please make yourself known to me as my touch can cure scrofula

[Edited by Mazz at 16:50 on 09/02/09]
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • Oh crumbs used to be amazing... shows I've been away a while. London's changed... I haven't.

Forums - General Chat - London advice please.