Menu

Forums - General Chat

Summer Watching Thread

•  bad admiralbad admiral
    • Bit pissed off that Sky has pinched rights to the Lions Tour as that is a nice way to spend a saturday morning - however, none of my locals seem to be showing the matches - boo! So not that.

What I HAVE been watching is the Tour, which as a relatively new bike nerd, I'm LOVING. First stage was bonkers and I'll be eagerly lapping up the highlights of the time trial around Nice tonight.

Hypocritically, I have been cheering on Team Sky thanks to Geraint Thomas' heroic soldiering on through a fractured pelvis, even though I'm still hurt about the Lions.
    •  OllieOllie
    • Been watching The White Queen...not bad. It's a dramatisation of real historical events around the reign of Henry 4th in the 15th Century...the Wars Of The Roses, proper Mazz type stuff. The lass in it is very attractive.

New series of Skins started last night. I'm a big fan of the original ones but this one is about them grown up and in the real world. Similar but different, still good though.
    •  CareyCarey
    • The White Queen hugely annoyed me because everyone is too clean! Would like to know what Mazz thinks of it all.

Cycling stays on in our house nearly all summer. Gutted for the poor dude who got the bus stuck in the finish line on the first day of the tour.
    •  OllieOllie
    • I did wonder about the cleanliness thing in The White Queen...it does all look very neat. Maybe Monty Python and the Holy Grail wasn't so far off

Large Man with Dead Body: Who's that then?
      The Dead Collector: I dunno, must be a king.
      Large Man with Dead Body: Why?
      The Dead Collector: He hasn't got shit all over him.

•  GarethGareth
    • Pete says:

Prometheus - first half I thought was excellent, but the second felt rushed and incoherent. Shame, but generally good and not as bad as some make out.

I saw that in Super IMAX 3D at midnight on release night. It's a mess narratively speaking but I'm a sucker for sci-fi so I enjoyed it.

I too am on Lovefilm so am watching The Walking Dead series 1. I also just finished Breaking Bad series 4 which I stayed up until 2:30 watching the last 3 episodes for because it's seriously that good. I was lukewarm to it at first but it's just got better and better, culminating in some of the most gripping watching I've seen in years. Well worth the slow start.
    •  GarethGareth
    • Dredd - surprisingly good.
    •  mikemike
    • I watched Attack The Block the other night, good once it gets going and if you can stomach hammy yoof speak spoken by actors that are clearly RADA trained that sounds forced.
    •  mambamamba
    • Caught up on the mini series Run which was on Channel 4 the other week. That was pretty depressing.

Just rejoined Netflix for the last few episodes of The Killing and then Breaking Bad, but struggling to find any decent movies. Any suggestions welcomed.
    •  PetePete
    • Working my way through Homeland 2 (now on 4oD). Also keeping up with Breaking Bad 5 on Netflix, although haven't seen this week's episode yet. And been-watching-but-glad-it's-over - the inevitable disappointing ODI series at the end of a successful Test series.
    •  BenBen
    • Breaking Bad is so intense at the moment, I'm almost sad that I'm away on holiday when the finale is on! I'll just have to spoiler dodge for a few days after that.
    •  BenBen
    • Film wise, if you've not seen Primer or Moon, check them out.
    •  mambamamba
    • The last two episodes of Breaking Bad have been amazing. Last week was great for action. This week I think I watched the whole episode with my mouth wide open.

I've been contemplating taking the day off for the finale so I can watch it in the morning, but that's probably a bit sad, right?
    •  mikemike
    • I've just got Netflix so I've watched the first series of the US Office, some Sarah Silverman and loads more already. Need to put a limit on it really.
    •  PetePete
    • I liked US Office, especially after 1st series. The last series I watched (7 I think) wasn't great though.
    •  GarethGareth
    • mamba says:
      The last two episodes of Breaking Bad have been amazing. Last week was great for action. This week I think I watched the whole episode with my mouth wide open.

I've been contemplating taking the day off for the finale so I can watch it in the morning, but that's probably a bit sad, right?

Nope! I had a 10 episode binge on Saturday after signing up for Netflix again for BB and Arrested Development (watched the last 2 on Sunday). I really want to know how it ends.
    •  CareyCarey
    • I watched What Remains. I thought it was very good until the last half hour, when it just got boring and silly.
    •  GarethGareth
    • Wow, Kevin Spacey on Breaking Bad.
    •  PetePete
    • I got a text after episode 14 of BB series 5, from my mum, saying I can't believe such and such is such and such (I'm trying to avoid spoilers), and I had to shut my eyes when so and so did this and that, and I almost cried when etc. And most of all, I couldn't believe that (the actor that plays) Walter Junior finally had to do some acting!
    •  GarethGareth
    • I can't believe the whole thing ends with Walt waking up in bed, realising it was all a dream and it going straight into the pilot for 'Malcolm in the Middle'.
    •  PetePete
    • Ha ha ha.

Yeah, and Hank crawls out of the desert to realise he's on Mars and works in a brothel. Then realises he does after all work for the police and has to raid the cyberdyne building to shoot miles dyson.

Forums - General Chat - Summer Watching Thread