Menu

Forums - General Chat

Unusual thread... keeping fit.

•  Mark MontanaMark Montana
    • Hi long time no see/post everyone,

Had a back op this time last year and since then I've been swimming 4 times a week. I used to swim quite a bit when I was a lot younger so knew the basics. Its certainly helped my back and in general I feel loads healthier and more energetic. However, I haven't really lost much weight as my diet up until recently hadn't really changed.

Tips for swimming would be to:

- Have a look on the net at how to do the strokes. It makes things a lot easier and more enjoyable, especially with front crawl/freestyle
      - Buy some goggles and get your head under the water. Bending your neck for so long isn't good for you and doesn't help with performing the strokes properly.
      - Set yourself targets each session. Either aim to swim a certain distance each time. In a 25m pool a mile is about 66 lengths (I think). Or see how long it takes you to do a length and try to beat it by improving your stroke.

Really love swimming now as its so relaxing and clears your brain of stuff while your doing it.
    •  mikemike
    • I've done two runs so far this week, more like run as far as I can, then walk, then run, then walk, but for quite a distance. Need to use that Couch 2 5k thing really as I think it'll improve things.
    •  GarethGareth
    • After a couple of weeks of minor but annoying illness and inactivity I went for a run and did 9.7k which was personally pretty impressive. Now I've got to wait for the massive blister on my toe to subside before I can go again.
    •  mikemike
    • Done another run tonight and ran quite far, more than I did on the previous two, gona try and do 4 this week, tomorrow, wednesday and saturday or sunday.
    •  GarethGareth
    • If you're just starting out, I'd advise a day of rest between each run.
    •  mikemike
    • Weights tonight instead then.
    •  GarethGareth
    • Good plan, that's what I do. Run, weights, night off, repeat.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • started practical lessons for my pt course at the weekend. went gymming tonight and my workout time has been slashed in half. it's about working smart as well as hard!

Forums - General Chat - Unusual thread... keeping fit.