Menu

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion

NineHertz....defunct....pointless...less use than both my nans dead overies combined......?

•  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Well said Jack, and bad admiral also on how one of the best things about this place is people meeting up from all over and getting along. [I'd quote the relevant bit but for some reason I can't seem to quote a full post - technical glitch or somthing?]

Def Leppard are the biggest band from Sheffield because they went for the US market and succeeded [no bad thing, they're a decent band].
    •  PodgePodge
    • Jack Dickinson says:
      Criticizing someone like Podge who plays in a band
      i'm not actually in a band at the moment. Rachmanite was fun but i kinda lost interest in as i rekindled my interest in bikes. cheers for the props though
    •  noonenoone
    • but why are we even discussing Def Leppard's success?
      nobody is disputing that if you measure success by how much money you've made selling millions of predictable records to millions of predictable people.
      what relevance has that to a great grass-roots website for a criminally un-catered for genre?
      By that premise I'd accuse stocky of being irrelevant and useless when compared to Dr. Dre.
      Produced any multi million selling rap albums lately stocky? thought not.
    •  EggyEggy
    • I'm sensing some indifferences between people who live in sheffield, things have obviously been rumbling for a while and this thread is the result.

People who have been involved with one of the city's most successful underground bands in recent years think that other people who like underground bands don't do as much as they should and haven't contributed as much to the local music scene. While in other cities organisations die after a couple or so years, and in some cases other replace them, and other places have a pathetic underground music scene, ninehertz is still alive, but doesn't appear to have as greater input as it did a couple or so years back. I do rate ninehertz, as i do Team Tall, corporation and other ways of getting to see good quality bands near where i live.

I am a fan of music, but have never been and probably never will be a contributor to the scene, i've never been in a band, don't particularly desire to, but i do listen to music often, love many underground bands, but don't need more than to listen to music on cd's or at gigs. I sometimes find it hard to fit in amongst people who are mainly all in bands and far more technical minded than me, but ninehertz is one of my main sources of information for the music i like and that is foremost what i use ninehertz for, the majority of my friends in the real world just listen to music of the popular bands and know very little, if at all, about the many better smaller bands out there.

My interpretation of the situation is that there's a kind or us and them between certain people involved with Team Tall etc and the ninehertz clan, one thinks one is better than the other, but both offer good gigs etc to the city of sheffield and beyond and sheffield needs both parties and more besides.

I do think certain people think to too much about what ninehertz hasn't done, and how great they could have been if only x y and z.

I've not been on the forum as often lately as i was a year or so since, it is quiter on here these days and it is less interesting to me than it once was, but it's still one of my main sources of music info, and a site i check regularly.

I am suprised that since the new look (which i feel has improved the forum) there hasn't been more members join the forum, especially since the london all dayer, but perhaps it's not active enough to lure new people in unless they are in a band involved with a gig.

I have met many good people through ninehertz, have seen many good bands, and spend a lot (far too much) time on here, while i don't think it's what it was a couple of years back i haven't had the level of interest of music, either new or old bands for months now so i've not been to as many gigs in general..

Wasn't going to contribute to this thread and wasn't sure where i was going when i did but just thought i'd waffle about my views, i may be far from the mark but as i've been to a fair few ninehertz gigs and have posted regulary on here for a number of years now i thought i'd add one of two lines.
    •  PodgePodge
    • team tall and 9hz are 2 different things.
      9hz is a reviews website and loose collective framework that occasionally does gigs in and out of Sheffield while team tall is a Sheffield metal promotions gig machine. you couldn't say one is better than the other.

you cant blame 9hz for the forum being quiet, if YOU want it to be more interesting YOU need to make it interesting. if YOU don't like list threads, YOU need to post something original.

if you think the site needs more interviews and reviews YOU write them like Marek did.

there wasn't too many gigs about so Steve from Berserkowits started putting them on.

its a pity we don't have more proactive people. i'm sure if you need any help with anything any of the editors will be more than happy to assist you.

that's a general comment and not aimed at you Eggy
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Hate to say it really but maybe expecting a site to be totally user-generated and grow /develop/have an editorial voice/ etc may be a hiding to nothing. Yeah Wikipedia does it, but that's a 'tad' more general.

If I was behind this forum, and wasn't bastard busy all the time (maybe everyone is, thats the problem), I would shout about it, as it's good. I think maybe the low-key nature of it will lead to it dwindling into a few mates chatting among themselves, when with a bit of oh so vulgar promotion it could make a bigger splash. Thats if anyone wanted that to happen.
    •  EggyEggy
    • i realise 9hz and team tall are different, but as both put gigs on perhaps that is the way it is looked at by some.

As i say though although the number of gigs 9hz has put on in the city has lowered somewhat, at least 9hz is still going and putting gigs on in the future.

I think a factor that i didn't mention earlier but considered is that people have moved on, changed jobs, homes etc in the last few years, but 9hz is still alive through out that. The main core of contributors to the forum has changed as people have moved on with their lives and don't have time to spend on here as they used to, but people have replaced them, many don't live in sheffield but 9hz isn't purely for the people of sheffield.

I don't contribute to 9hz other than post on here, and turn up at gigs, occasionally i do feel i should do more for the cause but i'm not into music that way, i ain't not editor, reviewer etc, i don't have the depth of knowledge etc. I'm still a musical retard really. :angel:
    •  Rob HimselfRob Himself
    • I think being busy must be part of it. All of us are older than we were back in the day (obviously) and some may have moved on or found other things to do. I realised myself the other day that I don't care even a quarter as much about 'the scene' as much as I did when I was 20. All my music conversations these days seem to involve reminiscing about the good ol' days. It's only music, maaaan.
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • bad admiral says:
      cheers geezer.

it's rare for artist to be appreciated in his own time...;)

Aren't you all glad I told him about this site... ha ha! I'm so pleased that's for sure...
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • By the way I'm not having a go at Pete, who is a fantastic bloke obviously. And I know sod all about Ninehertz really, just discovered it once, discovered some nice people, did a couple of good gigs, wrote a few reviews. But is IS the only one of its kind in the UK as far as I know, so I would just like it to be 'more' somehow, without attracting dickheads or losing its specialness...

•  PodgePodge
    • J Parker says:
      Hate to say it really but maybe expecting a site to be totally user-generated and grow /develop/have an editorial voice/ etc may be a hiding to nothing.
      if people want something they should stop waiting for it to happen and make it happen, but they don't, they just sit behind a computer screen and moan because they want something for nothing.

Eggy says:
      As i say though although the number of gigs 9hz has put on in the city has lowered somewhat, at least 9hz is still going and putting gigs on in the future.
      they only ever put stuff on when it was worth it, over the last 12 months there have been significantly less bands touring and asking for gigs.
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • Pete says:
      The ninehertz name was on the flyer for Steve's (Tino Insana on here) Palehorse and Moloch gig recently - two of the best sludge bands the UK has - you weren't at that - I'm not bothered but it seems to contradict the feeling put forward in this thread...

There's the point I was after making.

Hail! :cool:
    •  GarethGareth
    • I don't really go to gigs any more for a few reasons. There's not many bands I want to see, I have no money and being in a band has made me sick to the back teeth of gigs. It's got to the stage where I can't even muster up the enthusiasm to book Mark Kozelek tickets, even though he's playing in a church in Manchester and it will be amazing.
    •  DonnyDonny
    • I don't go to many gigs/get involved much for two main reasons.

- I'm old.

- I'm tired.

I work, I go home, I cook, I spend time with the missus, I go to bed, I get up the next day and do it all again. Somewhere in the middle of that I find the time to play in two bands, practicing and playing occasional gigs. The label doesn't really factor into it as it runs itself. I don't have the time or the energy to go to lots of gigs, review records, or 'make a difference'. I'm too busy trying not to fall asleep on the bus.

I'm sure with our advancing ages and responsibilities it's the same for most of us and I'm thankful to those who do make the effort - no matter how small. I'm happy to have ninehertz here as a place to talk about our little subsection of music and talk bollocks without the wankery you get at other forums (until we this thread appeared anyway).

Be thankful for what we have.
    •  MazzMazz
    • Donny says:

- I'm old.

- I'm tired.

Yep...I going to see Church of Misery tonight...I won't be drinking but I know I will still feel rough at work tomorrow.
    •  WickedWesticleWickedWesticle
    • Mazz says:
      Donny says:

- I'm old.

- I'm tired.

Yep...I going to see Church of Misery tonight...I won't be drinking but I know I will still feel rough at work tomorrow.

They were incredible in London on Saturday. I have neck ache.
    •  JackJack
    • Yeah top gig, I'd go again if i could
    •  Rob HimselfRob Himself
    • Donny says:

I work, I go home, I cook, I spend time with the missus, I go to bed, I get up the next day and do it all again.

Exactly - and you've got a got a good few years on me!

Rock music is for teenagers and students, whether we like it or not. Otherwise we'll all turn into our dads and my dad's 51 and listens to Dave Pearce's Dance Anthems. That's why I'm getting the singer-songwriter thing out of the way now, lest I end up like the sad old men I get billed with.
    •  JackJack
    • I'm just rocking hard until some lady will take me in and make me sensible, till then rock'n'roll
    •  MazzMazz
    • Jack Dickinson says:
      I'm just rocking hard until some lady will take me in and make me sensible, till then rock'n'roll

They will TRY and make you sensible...they will TRY and grind you down.... They will try and suck the life from you and just leave a husk. You MUST NOT LET THIS HAPPEN. You MUST keep on Rocking...You MUST..for the love of all that is good and right..you must keep the rock and roll alive or your spirit will DIE.

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - NineHertz....defunct....pointless...less use than both my nans dead overies combined......?