Menu

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion

PELICAN + TORCHE - 13th Sep - Sheffield

•  Matt_tgpgMatt_tgpg
    • JenTheHen says:

Pelican bore me more and more each time I saw them.

I just about managed to stay awake at Primavera last year because I was by a beautiful scenic seaside and it was a beautiful sunset so, in all honesty, Kylie Minogue could have moved me.

Torche are awesome though. Triple crunchy heavy. Or something.

I quite agree. Torche WIN, Pelican LOSE. Don't mind the S/T EP but the rest of their material leaves me a bit cold. "Fire in our throats..." was the most unispired dull excuse for a record I'd heard in ages.

Also, if you listen carefully to Australasia, the drummer uses pretty much the same fill for the entire album. Yawn...
    •  Tom PTom P
    • Matt_tgpg says:

JenTheHen says:

Pelican bore me more and more each time I saw them.

I just about managed to stay awake at Primavera last year because I was by a beautiful scenic seaside and it was a beautiful sunset so, in all honesty, Kylie Minogue could have moved me.

Torche are awesome though. Triple crunchy heavy. Or something.

I quite agree. Torche WIN, Pelican LOSE. Don't mind the S/T EP but the rest of their material leaves me a bit cold. "Fire in our throats..." was the most unispired dull excuse for a record I'd heard in ages.

Also, if you listen carefully to Australasia, the drummer uses pretty much the same fill for the entire album. Yawn...

Same. Would like to see Torche (even though I'm not that sweet on 'em I do think they'd be a great live band) but Pelican are pure meh to me.
    •  HogTeamHogTeam
    • sleepy weepy core
    •  slomoslomo
    • S/T I returned. Bored me to tears - everything else I'm down with. I thought Fire In Our Throats was brilliant. CAn listen to that just for the chordal choices alone. Love it.
    •  mikemike
    • The latest is still edging close to being my fave, the cover art, the blissful tunes, the drumming is actually enjoyable even though its rudimentary still, I think people write this one off without repeated listens, which is a shame, Fire in Our Throats has some hulking great beasts on it.

Actually, last time they played Corp they were immense, did they play with The Sword that night or is that my mind playing tricks?
    •  AlecAlec
    • mike says:

Actually, last time they played Corp they were immense, did they play with The Sword that night or is that my mind playing tricks?

your mind decieves you, twas with high on fire + coliseum
    •  mikemike
    • Ah yeah! The Sword were with Taint and Clutch (and nearly outplayed them both!)
    •  CareyCarey
    • i would like to see torche. last time i saw pelican at corp i was so bored i went to the pub after three songs.
    •  AlecAlec
    • yeah pelican bored me to tears then too. so did high on fire. coliseum all the way!
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • Did you enjoy Viviene Westwood Alec?
    •  AlecAlec
    • JenTheHen says:

Did you enjoy Viviene Westwood Alec?

i actually did! most of it anyway, the harlequin one and the big purple one were both pretty sweet. i didnt like the really far out stuff that looked like tramps clothes, or that dress with the hair coming out the back of it. i was originally thinking 'christ what have i got myself into' but it was pretty good!
    •  adam_mountainsadam_mountains
    • slomo says:

S/T I returned. Bored me to tears - everything else I'm down with. I thought Fire In Our Throats was brilliant. CAn listen to that just for the chordal choices alone. Love it.

Phew...just thought it was me then...I agree. S/T is just a bit flat, not much going on and filled with feedback. The rest are great, how can anyone hate March Into The Sea!
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • Alec says:

JenTheHen says:

i actually did! most of it anyway, the harlequin one and the big purple one were both pretty sweet. i didnt like the really far out stuff that looked like tramps clothes, or that dress with the hair coming out the back of it. i was originally thinking 'christ what have i got myself into' but it was pretty good!

Yeah, the harlequin is good. All the early stuff. The punk and pirate collections are hideous and not particularly interesting but I really like the second part of the exhibition.

If you've forgotten what Viv says in the final video I can recite it for you anytime you like.

"A lady dressed in my clothes...."
    •  PetePete
    • Ol' Viv is from Glossop. This makes her mighty, like me.
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • Pete says:

Ol' Viv is from Glossop. This makes her mighty, like me.

True dat. Maybe not the mighty bit....

Bitey morelike.
    •  mambamamba
    • quote:
      Pelican and Torche are teaming up to play Brighton Engine Room September 12, Sheffield Corporation 13, Glasgow Oran Mor 14, Belfast Black Box 15, Dublin Whelan's 16, Birmingham Medicine Bar 17, London Camden Underworld 18, Bristol Croft 19.
    •  AlecAlec
    • JenTheHen says:

Alec says:

JenTheHen says:

Yeah, the harlequin is good. All the early stuff. The punk and pirate collections are hideous and not particularly interesting but I really like the second part of the exhibition.

If you've forgotten what Viv says in the final video I can recite it for you anytime you like.

"A lady dressed in my clothes...."

yeah the second half was much better, i liked the maids dress...and i think stef died a little bit when she saw that big purple one, twas tres glam
    •  paul gpaul g
    • Are kayo dot playing this as well?
    •  PodgePodge
    • paul g says:
      Are kayo dot playing this as well?

Christ on a bike that would be bloody good if they were

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - PELICAN + TORCHE - 13th Sep - Sheffield